The Monitoring and Evaluation/Information Management Officer works as a part of MEAL department and reports towards the Programme Coordinator
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation/Information Management Officer
Location: Ioannina, Northern Greece
Period: 01.09.2019 – 31.12.2019 – with possible extension
1. Background/ASB Summary:
The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organization and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB Foreign Aid
ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq and Greece.
ASB started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. In 2017 ASB Greece built the technical facilities and shelters for the Diavata camp. In 2018, ASB Greece acquired three accommodation sites in the Epirus Region (Katsikas, Filippiada and Doliana). In 2019, ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with IOM is implementing the “Improving the Greek Reception System Through Site Management Support and Targeted Interventions in Long – Term Accommodation Sites” project. The project focuses on Site Management Support (SMS) services and includes Protection and Non-Formal Education. The ASB country office is based in Thessaloniki, while the Epirus regional office is in Ioannina.
2. Job Overview/Summary:
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E)/Information Management Officer is – under the supervision of the Senior M&E Officer and Program Coordinator – responsible for all aspects of Monitoring and Evaluation of ASB Greece’s projects. This also includes elements of Accountability and Learning, in coordination with the Human Resource Manager and the Visibility and Communication Officer. Furthermore, the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer will act as ASB Greece Information Management Officer.
S/he will be responsible for designing and implementing a country-specific Information Management strategy to analyse and disseminate information on the population of concern to the Country Office including, but not limited to, Protection and Programme information. Where information gaps exist, the M&E/Information Management Officer may help setting up primary data collection systems and organise needs assessments, which may also involve other stakeholders. For this it is required that the M&E/ Information Management Officer is able to coordinate and communicate well with the teams in the field, while keeping a professional objectivity towards the results and impact of the actions. S/he supports the programme team in setting up systems and mechanisms for monitoring the projects’ indicators, deliverables and regularly gathering stakeholders’ feedback.
3. Specific tasks:
- Under supervision of the Program Coordinator develop and strengthen monitoring and evaluation procedures related towards ASB Greece’s projects;
- Review and improve monitoring and impact indicators of the current projects;
- Assist the project staff with M&E tools and support them on how best to use them;
- Monitor activities for all projects. With the support of the Program Coordinator these should be linked to expenditures and progress, related towards achieving the planned outputs;
- Monitor and if possible, improve the sustainability of the results for projects;
- Conduct capacity assessment on existing monitoring and evaluation systems, including those used by ASB’s partners;
- Assist in coordinating across the available components of projects to ensure effective implementation of M&E/MIS;
- Support the evaluation of actions undertaken by ASB in Greece. This includes the preparation of any evaluation and the actual evaluation, either done by ASB or by third parties;
- Lessons learned should be distributed and action plan on how to improve should be drafted based on these evaluations;
- Support the analyses of the impact of ASB’s projects.
- Under supervision of the Program Coordinator, draft a strategy to increase the accountability of ASB;
- Support the implementation of any action points coming from this strategy, including Complaint Mechanisms, Child Protection and Gender Awareness.
- Provide inputs, information and statistics for quarterly, annual and other reports to ASB Project Management Team and Donors;
- Together with the HR Manager – ensures that trainings towards staff are facilitated addressing the lessons learned and the core principles and values of ASB.
- Support the drafting of the monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual progress reports towards our donors and ASB HQ for all projects of ASB in Greece;
- Prepare and maintain of a database that is used for M&E follow up, while ensuring the standardization of data collection;
- Participate in annual reviews and planning workshops and assist the Programme Coordinator in preparing relevant reports;
- Preparation of monthly Management Information System (MIS) reports;
- Assist the Programme Coordinator in preparing other relevant reports;
- Together with the Visibility and Communication Officer, provide input and update information related to projects on ASB website and other media;
- Recommend further improvement of the logical framework for projects;
- Provide feedback to the Programme Coordinator on strategies and activities for individual projects;
- Support the Program Coordinator in developing concept notes and proposals for new projects;
- Suggest strategies to the Management for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of projects by identifying bottlenecks in completing activities and developing plans to minimize or eliminate such bottlenecks;
- Develop indicators and a monitoring strategy for projects.
Information Management duties and responsibilities:
- Implement and regularly update the Information Management Strategy and the Dissemination Plan for all information management related products produced by the relevant sector.
- Design necessary data collection forms, ensuring that the purpose and use of data collected is clear and that questions are simple, clear and collectable.
- Organise and manage data input from data collection forms and conduct initial analysis of the data.
- Based on the data collected, conduct needs and gap identification for the relevant sector.
- Proactively gather information from relevant partners, UN agencies and other organisations which may be of use to the employing agency or cluster for informing decisions.
- Support development of an information-sharing platform.
- Perform advisory and technical assignments in the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Update 4W matrix with information and data from the relevant sector.
- Identify appropriate secondary data and information resources.
- Provide information management services to support population data management activities including population verification, information flows from established systems, standard-setting/promotion and dissemination.
- Provide advice and council concerning information management issues and industry trend ASB Country Office in Greece.
- Any other duty as assigned by the Program Coordinator or the Country Director.
4. Reports to: Program Coordinator ASB Greece.
Bachelor’s in development, Social Sciences, Economics, Statistics, International Cooperation. If the candidate doesn’t have the desired educational background, but has the desired practical experience needed, s/he can still apply.
- Ideally a minimum of 3 year in a similar position;
- Proven technical ability, including ability to work closely with beneficiaries, other team members and partners;
- Experience working with an INGO and with implementing DG ECHO and AA funded programs;
- Proven ability to develop adapted humanitarian vision and strategy within his/her work.
Technical skills and knowledge
- Strong IT skills – related to data management such as excel, SPSS, KoBo, ODK;
- Training skills allowing the Officer to perform small training sessions;
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision;
- Strong knowledge of the donor programming would be an advantage;
- Strong knowledge of the humanitarian principles;
- Greek National, or legally allowed to work in Greece;
- Fluent in Greek, English (spoken and written), German would be an asset;
- Patience, a ‘can-do’ mentality and a good sense of humour
- Openness to accept ASB’s Greece working values, such as
1. Open, Honest and Professional Relationships
2. On time, Open and clear horizontally and vertically communication
5. Positive Team Work
6. Productive attitude to excellence
7. Recognition and rewarding
8. Pride for the Humanitarian Orientation
9. Willingness for the extra mile
10. Collaboration for professional evolution, training and learning
- Standard twenty-four days of paid leave per year (plus seniority legal additions);
- Extra private life and accident insurance;
- Relocation accommodation bonus, 7 days if applicable to the position
- Organizational phone, with monthly credit;
- Transportation to and from work, with an organizational mini bus;
7. Base of Position: Ioannina, Greece
8. Length of contract: Until 31.12.2019. – with possible extension
9. How to apply:
All interested parties are requested to submit their CV and Cover Letter in English to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating the “M&E-OFF/IOA” on the subject field.
The deadline for application submission is August 27th 2019 at 23:59 hrs.
By applying to this Job Advertisement, the applicant concedes that ASB Greece will manage any data provided by her/ him until the end of this process and only.
If the applicant wishes for the data to be kept for a period of 6 months, in order to be included in other similar recruitment process, should be clearly stated in the application email by copying the exact following:
“I concede and allow ASB Greece to keep the documents/ files and data included in them, for a period of 6 months, starting from the date of dispatch, and in order to be used only for the purpose of further recruitment that I might be suitable. I have the right to recall this consent at any point, by sending a written application in the form of email to email@example.com”.