The Senior Education Officer supports the Non – Formal Education (NFE) department and reports towards the Non – Formal Education Manager.
Job Title: Senior Education Officer
Department: Non-Formal Education (NFE)
Location: Diavata, Thessaloniki region
Period: 01.09.2019 – 31.12.2019
1. Background/ASB Summary:
The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organization and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB Foreign Aid:
ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq and Greece.
ASB started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. In 2017 ASB Greece built the technical facilities and shelters for the Diavata camp. In 2018, ASB Greece acquired three accommodation sites in the Epirus Region (Katsikas, Filippiada and Doliana). In 2019, ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with IOM is implementing the “Improving the Greek Reception System Through Site Management Support and Targeted Interventions in Long – Term Accommodation Sites” project. The project focuses on Site Management Support (SMS) services and includes Protection and Non-Formal Education. The ASB country office is based in Thessaloniki, while the Epirus regional office is in Ioannina.
2. Job Overview/Summary:
The Senior Education Officer supports the Non – Formal Education (NFE) department and reports towards the Non – Formal Education Manager. S/he is an essential part of the NFE team, in line with ASB and Donor regulation. Based in Thessaloniki region, the Senior Education Officer is responsible for overseeing the design and implementation of daily educational activities for refugee children, adolescents and adults at the Diavata reception centre. The educational programme includes Greek and English language lessons, homework support for school-age children attending public schools, life skills activities and cultural activities/visits. S/he monitors all educational activities provided by the NFE team in Diavata, provides technical support to all and establishes good relationship with relevant stakeholders.
General Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate day to day educational and cultural activities/visits at the Diavata region camp
- Assist the NFE Manager in the provision of non – formal education by ensuring all related project data is accurately and safely collected and filed
- Communicates and co-operates with the other departments of ASB, with the community and with relevant stakeholders
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the country team both to position ASB and ensure excellence in all deliverables.
- Collaborating: You lead initiatives at country operation level by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen to beneficiaries, staff and other stakeholders; and you communicate concisely and persuasively
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with ASB’s vision and values and set a very clear standard for your country team members.
3. Specific Tasks
- Represent ASB publicly at the field-level on NFE – related issues, including in coordination fora, with other agencies and local authorities, and for providing the direct link in communications between ASB’s NFE activities in Greece and the organization’s Thessaloniki-based NFE Manager.
- Coordinate the main streaming of NFE related issues with ASB staff, especially the SMS, WASH/Shelter and Protection teams who are working at the mentioned sites. Coordination with both the SMS, WASH/Shelter and Protection is very important;
- Responsibility for the daily coordination of NFE programming in Diavata refugee camp in Greece. This responsibility includes ensuring positive and collaborative working relationships in line with ASB’s Code of Conduct and assessing staff capacity to provide or recommend relevant training or coaching as needed.
- Demonstrated competencies in promoting community engagement initiatives, and youth education and empowerment strategies, with a good working knowledge of education sector policy, particularly non-formal education.
- Lead the daily coordination of all NFE activities in refugee camp as per national and international standards and best practices, ensuring technical rigor and the consistent application of ASB’s approaches, methods and tools.
- ‒ Conduct needs assessments to inform program design as well as identify risks and vulnerabilities, including those related to gender, age and diversity.
- Develop and manage the relationships with the Ministry of Education (MoE) staff and other critical stakeholders to assure program results.
- Build the capacity, provide technical backstopping and support the monitoring of NFE staff working collaboratively with partners and stakeholders
- Ensure that ethical and statistically-sound data collection and protection-related information management systems are soundly used for analysis, planning, evaluation, and advocacy. This is done with the assistance of the M&E team of ASB Greece and in close cooperation with the NFE Manager
- Collaborate closely with ASB’s NFE Manager to ensure technical rigor and the consistent application of ASB’s approaches, methods and tools
- Ensure the timely and quality delivery of all NFE related organizational and project reports and staff contributions to organizational monitoring and evaluation requirements to ensure project quality, relevance and accountability to ASB’s beneficiary populations.
- Collaborate with the Programs Coordinator and NFE Manager to ensure field based NFE records and documentation are properly managed and compliant with ASB requirements and best practices.
Provision of non – formal education:
- Advising and co-operating with the NF Education Manager and other members of the education team on the preparation and development of a comprehensive timetable
- Supporting the registration and enrolment of PoCs residing in camps
- Keeping records of enrolment and attendances of students
- Participating in administrative and organisational tasks related to the duties as described above, including the allocation of equipment and materials.
- Oversee planning and preparation of lessons, and, if needed, lead planned activities
- Supporting and supervising all NFE staff
- Informing and advising beneficiaries on educational issues (on site or external lessons, seminars, etc)
- Planning and coordinating distribution of teaching and learning material
- Coordinating joint events with children and adults from refugee and host communities for community harmonization;
- Promote professional development by identifying training and capacity building opportunities and ensure ASB field staff are well versed in core concepts, ASB’s code of conduct, accountability, respectful dialogue with the refugee population, and prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Collaborate with the NFE Manager and the Programs Coordinator to ensure ASB NFE staff have clear objectives, work plans and that performance evaluations are conducted on a regular basis.
Logistics and Procurement:
- Collaborate with the logistics and procurement teams to develop and maintain NFE -specific procurement plans.
- Regularly review NFE related procurement plans with the Thessaloniki-based procurement, logistics and finance teams to adjust spending as required in advance of project closure.
Safety and Security:
- Coordinate with the Programs Coordinator and Operations Coordinator in ensuring the safety of all ASB staff.
- Keeping records and reports on the educational needs of POC’s
- Making referrals of vulnerable cases to the ASB Protection team
- Working with teachers and assistants as well as with protection specialists for the provision of integrated learning activities (recreational activities/psychosocial support activities)
- With the support of the NF Education Manager, communicating and consulting with parents and the community
- Mentoring less experienced/qualified volunteer teachers from the refugee community.
- Any other task as required by the NFE Manager
- During his/her work, uphold all relevant ASB standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles;
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment and other important cross-cutting concerns;
- Fully comply with the ASB safety and security procedures.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position. All staff of ASB is expected to be flexible and contribute constructively towards achieving the goals of ASB in Greece.
4. Reports to:
5. Staff Management:
a. Directly: NFE field team (teachers/assistants)
b. Indirectly: None
Program Staff (SMS, WASH/Shelter, Protection)
- Greek National, or legally allowed to work in Greece;
- Completed Bachelor’s degree in education or other related study;
- Master’s degree in Education will be an asset
- Minimum three (3) years of professional work experience as a Teacher/Educator in non-formal education, with at least one (2) years of experience working with NGOs and/or with minority groups.
- Technical knowledge and skills in the field of teaching, including classroom management, positive discipline, active learning and intercultural education
- Experience engaging with parents and communities in order to improve attendance, and to address students’ needs
- Experience adapting teaching and learning material to the needs of students
- Experience of community-based or community mobilization work in a humanitarian context will be an asset
- Strong communication skills
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to multitask, to deal with strict deadlines and to handle pressure
- Strong sense of personal integrity
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, ability to improvise flexibility, cultural and environmental sensitivity
- Excellent verbal and written English and Greek skills are required.
- Patience, a ‘can-do’ mentality.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently.
- Clear understanding of how to manage sensitive and confidential information
Openness to accept ASB’s Greece working values, such as:
- Open, Honest and Professional Relationships
- On time, Open and clear horizontally and vertically communication
- Positive Team Work
- Productive attitude to excellence
- Recognition and rewarding
- Pride for the Humanitarian Orientation
- Willingness for the extra mile
- Collaboration for professional evolution, training and learning
- Standard twenty-four days of paid leave per year (plus seniority legal additions);
- Extra private life and accident insurance;
- Relocation accommodation bonus, 7 days if applicable to the position
- Organizational phone, with monthly credit;
- Transportation to and from work, with an organizational mini bus;
9. Base of Position:
Diavata region reception centre, Greece
10. Length of contract 4 Months
11. How to apply:
All interested parties are requested to submit their CV and Cover Letter in English to the following address: email@example.com stating the “EDU/OFF/THESS ” on the subject field.
The deadline for application submission is August 19th , 2019 at 23:59 hrs.
By applying to this Job Advertisement, the applicant concedes that ASB Greece will manage any data provided by her/ him until the end of this process and only.
If the applicant wishes for the data to be kept for a period of 6 months, in order to be included in other similar recruitment process, should be clearly stated in the application email by copying the exact following:
“I concede and allow ASB Greece to keep the documents/ files and data included in them, for a period of 6 months, starting from the date of dispatch, and in order to be used only for the purpose of further recruitment that I might be suitable. I have the right to recall this consent at any point, by sending a written application in the form of email to firstname.lastname@example.org ”.