The Camp Assistant supports the SMS department and reports towards the SMS Officer.
Job Title: Camp Assistant
Location: Ioannina, Epirus, Greece
Period: 01.10.2019 – 31.12.2019
1. Background/ASB Summary:
The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organization and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB Foreign Aid:
ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq and Greece.
ASB started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. In 2017 ASB Greece built the technical facilities and shelters for the Diavata camp. In 2018, ASB Greece acquired three accommodation sites in the Epirus Region (Katsikas, Filippiada and Doliana). In 2019, ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with IOM is implementing the “Improving the Greek Reception System Through Site Management Support and Targeted Interventions in Long – Term Accommodation Sites” project. The project focuses on Site Management Support (SMS) services and includes Protection and Non-Formal Education. The ASB country office is based in Thessaloniki, while the Epirus regional office is in Ioannina.
2. Job Overview/Summary:
The Camp Assistant supports the SMS department and reports towards the SMS Officer. S/he is an essential part of the SMS team, in line with ASB and Donor regulation.
The Camp Assistant focuses on supporting the activities in the camps by providing manual labor and cleaning activities which are of vital importance for the welfare of the refugee population and the smooth daily running of the sites. The candidate should be a good team player willing to help the population of concern and able to support the field team in the daily running of the site activities and services. The Camp Assistant will be responsible for:
General Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Support the SMS team to manage and accommodate all beneficiaries’ requests on a daily basis;
- Conduct manual labour whenever it is required and needed;
- Facilitate the (food, NFI) distribution on daily basis and keep required documentation;
- Support all logistical operations at the camp, including keeping records for warehouses;
- Be responsible for the storing of items and the good condition of the storage space;
- Support the distribution of NFI’s and household items;
- Support the WASH Team when conducting minor repairs necessary for maintenance & repair of the shelters;
- Provide cleaning services and preparation activities to the shelters that must be prepared for new arrivals;
- Contribute to maintaining and strengthening ASB’s relations with the beneficiaries;
- Support the cleaning of the public open spaces
Monitoring the cleaning services provided by an external contractor.
3. Specific Tasks
- During his/her work, uphold all relevant ASB standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles;
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment and other important cross-cutting concerns;
- Fully comply with the ASB safety and security procedures
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position. All staff of ASB is expected to be flexible and contribute constructively towards achieving the goals of ASB in Greece.
4. Reports to:
Senior SMS Officer Ioannina
5. Staff Management
a. Directly: None
b. Indirectly: None
a. Senior SMS Officer
b. SMS Officer
c. Camp Assistants
d. Cultural Mediators
- At least one year of relevant working experience in a refugee camp with an NGO and/or relevant working experience.
- At least one (1) years of experience with providing support at a refugee camp, or other relevant experience with an NGO;
- Greek National, or legally allowed to work in Greece;
- Fluent in Greek, English (spoken) would be an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, flexible and wide understanding of the community’s needs;
- Patience, a ‘can-do’ mentality and a good sense of humour;
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different sectors of the community;
- Literacy, numeracy, and record keeping skills;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently.
Openness to accept ASB’s Greece working values, such as:
- Open, Honest and Professional Relationships
- On time, Open and clear horizontally and vertically communication
- Positive Team Work
- Productive attitude to excellence
- Recognition and rewarding
- Pride for the Humanitarian Orientation
- Willingness for the extra mile
- Collaboration for professional evolution, training and learning
- Standard twenty-four days of paid leave per year (plus seniority legal additions);
- Extra private life and accident insurance;
- Relocation accommodation bonus, 7 days if applicable to the position
- Organizational phone, with monthly credit;
- Transportation to and from work, with an organizational mini bus;
9. Base of Position
10. Length of contract:
Till the end of the year
11. How to apply:
All interested parties are requested to submit their CV and Cover Letter in English to the following address: email@example.com clearly stating “CAMP-ASS/IOA” in the subject field.
The deadline for application submission is October 3rd 2019 at 23:59 hrs.
By applying to this Job Advertisement, the applicant concedes that ASB Greece will manage any data provided by her/ him until the end of this process and only.
If the applicant wishes for the data to be kept for a period of 6 months, in order to be included in other similar recruitment process, should be clearly stated in the application email by copying the exact following:
“I concede and allow ASB Greece to keep the documents / files and data included in them, for a period of 6 months, starting from the date of dispatch, and in order to be used only for the purpose of further recruitment that I might be suitable. I have the right to recall this consent at any point, by sending a written application in the form of email to firstname.lastname@example.org”.