The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organisation with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organisation and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability. ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq (KRI) and Greece.
ASB started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. The ASB country office is based in Thessaloniki.
Job Overview/Summary: The Assistant Country Director is responsible for all support functions of ASB Greece. More specifically in collaboration with the Country Director, he/she manages logistics, finance and administration departments.
Reports to: Country Director
- Coordination of all logistical operations at the various field and support sites: including supply chain, stock management, asset management, fixed asset register, fleet management
- Support a close working relationship between the programmes and logistics relevant staff;
- Review ASB procedures and manuals and ensure compliance of logistical operations with Donor requirements;
- Ensure internal and external reporting is performed in line with requirements;
- Ensure that ASB’s transport fleet, logbooks and contracts are updated and used based on the needs;
- Ensure the on-going management of the asset register and inventory;
- Ensure the mandatory finance and logs cross over meetings are held and documented.
Human Resource Management
- Provide guidance and direction on human resources procedures;
- Ensure that HR planning is developed based on programme planning;
- Support management to implement an effective annual performance review and development process;
- Provide induction to new staff members;
- Oversee the preparation and implementation of an organisational training plan;
- Develop an interview evaluation matrix.
- Coordinate with the Finance Manager to ensure monthly budget follow up is in place, in addition to contract follow up;
- Monitor any over or underspending and report to the Country Director in a timely manner;
- Manage the equipment budget for office and program’s needs;
- Ensure organisational compliance to donor policies and guidelines and ASB Manual as well.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in INGOs, managing ECHO projects, with focus on support functions and regulations;
- Bachelor degree in international development, Administration or any other relevant field of study. Master degree preferred;
- Previous experience in support regulations reviews, donor compliance and project planning;
- Strong organizational skills and flexibility when required;
- Budgetary control and financial management skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Security management experience is a plus.
The candidate must be prepared to spend extended working hours in what may be adverse weather conditions or stressful environments, often standing or moving around for long periods of time.
Working schedule: Office hours and on a call basis in case of emergency
- All Site officers are required to adhere to THE ASB Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the ASB country employment policies.
- Adhere to the Code of Conduct every day – in the site and in the community.
- Maintain confidentiality
ASB is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Please send your application to:
Subject line: “Assistant Country Director/Support”
Only electronic applications accepted. Deadline for applications is June 5th, 2017.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applicants who are not selected will not receive a rejection letter.