- Background/ASB Summary:
The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organization and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq and Greece.
ASB started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. In 2017 ASB Greece has built the technical facilities and shelters for the Diavata camp and it is currently operating the Site Management Support (SMS) role at this site. Through our partners WAHA and ARSIS, ASB also supports the provision of health and protection services towards refugees and migrants in Greece. In 2018 ASB expects to continue providing these services, possibly at more locations throughout Greece. Our main donor is DG ECHO, but we have also received funds from the German Foreign Ministry and own private donations. The ASB country office is based in Thessaloniki.
- Job Overview/Summary:
The Human Resources (HR) Manager is – under the supervision of the Operations Coordinator – responsible for the management of the overall human resources of ASB Greece and all aspects that come with it. This has to be done in line with Greek rules and regulations, in compliance with donor regulations and in the spirit of the values that ASB Greece upholds as a humanitarian actor.
As ASB Greece is a relatively small organization, this position combines operational and more strategical elements, all of which the HR Manager is expected to facilitate. At times frequent travel within Greece will be required. The tasks of the HR Manager includes among others:
- Drafting of appropriate Job Descriptions for (new) vacancies, based on the needs within the projects;
- Managing all communication channels used by ASB Greece to distribute the vacancies;
- Short listing of candidates, based on defined objective criteria and discuss these with the responsible line manager;
- Facilitate (first) interview with selected candidates;
- Verification of references and back ground checks of selected candidates;
- Job Offer and drafting employment contracts.
- Supports the development of a Performance Management System;
- In line with the defined system, implement this system including:
- Planning meetings with all staff and responsible managers;
- Appraisal meeting with all staff and responsible managers.
Human Resource Administration
- Together with Finance Department, checks the data of the monthly payroll;
- Manages all personnel related files within the organisation;
- Manages all time sheets of staff and communicates these towards the Finance Department;
- Manages all sick leaves, leave requests and holiday planning.
- Manages the preparation of the monthly payroll and communicates it towards the Finance Department.
Human Resource Management
- Supports the organisational planning related to Human Resources;
- Updates the relevant HR policies and standards, including salary scales and code of conduct;
- Manages the development and implementation of human resources procedures, including complaint mechanisms;
- Support the induction to new staff members of ASB;
- Manages the preparation and implementation of an organisational training plan;
- Ensure compliance with Greek Labour Law, donor compliance and ASB Germany and ASB Greece standards.
- If needed provide (initial) counselling and/or provide referral within ASB Greece and/or possibly outside of the organisation;
- If needed provide support for visa applications of expatriate staff to visit/work in Greece;
- Main focal person in regards to employee safety, welfare, wellness, happiness and health;
- Any other duty as assigned by the Operations Coordinator or the Country Director.
- Reports to:
Operations Coordinator ASB Greece.
Bachelor or Master Degree in Human Resources, Business Management, Finance or Accounting. If the candidate doesn’t have the desired educational background, but has the desired practical experience needed, s/he can still apply.
- Ideally a minimum of 3 year in a similar position;
- Proven management ability, including ability to motivate and develop skills of team members;
- Experience working with an INGO and with implementing DG ECHO funded programs;
- Proven ability to develop adapted humanitarian vision and strategy within his/her work.
Technical skills and knowledge
- Strong administration skills, including strong IT skills;
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision;
- Strong knowledge of the Greek Labour Law and Social Security regulations;
- Strong knowledge of the humanitarian principles;
- Greek National;
- Fluent in English (spoken and written), German would be an asset;
- Patience and a good sense of humour.
- How to apply
All interested parties are requested to submit an application letter and a CV – outlining the candidates’ suitability for the position and their motivation for joining ASB’s team in Greece. This should be done in English. At this time, it is not necessary to add additional documents such as professional certificates and references.
All submissions have to be send via email in either word or PDF format and have to be send to ASB’s email address HR@ASB.GR. Deadline for submission is 19 January 2018 – EOB. You can find the full job description here: 180110-Job-Description-Human-Resources-Manager.pdf (56 downloads)