The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organisation with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organisation and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability. ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq (KRI) and Greece.
ASB started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. The ASB country office is based in Thessaloniki.
Job Overview/Summary: Under the supervision of the Country Director, the Risk & Compliance Consultant(s) will conduct a compliance assessment, which will identify the effectiveness and efficiency of internal systems and processes, use of financial resources and compliance with ECHO and GFM donors, as being the major donors of ASB Greece. Finally, the Risk & Compliance Consultant(s) will develop a risk database to be updated on a monthly basis by ASB relevant staff. The period expected to be covered by the Consultant(s) is one year (06/2016-06/2017).
Reports to: Country Director
1. Desk review of ASB’s Greek Office Financial, Procurement and HR guidelines, along with all documents produce during the period of one year;
2. In collaboration with the CD, and based on the desk review identify current and past weaknesses and propose appropriate solutions;
3. Develop a risk management database related to the support functions only (Logistics, Finance, HR);
4. In agreement with the CD, conduct capacity building trainings to all relevant staff on compliance and risk management.
- Compliance assessment with recommendations for 1 year period;
- Risk Management database related to support functions;
- Capacity building training to relevant staff on donor compliance and risk management.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in INGOs, and/or UN as an internal/external auditor. Previous experience on ECHO audit will be considered an advantage;
- Bachelor degree in Business Administration, Financial Management or any other relevant field of study;
- Familiarity with accounting systems, HR processes and strong experience on logistics;
- Strong organizational skills and flexibility when required;
- Budgetary control and financial management skills;
- Proficient in the use of computer tools, such as word processing, spreadsheets and database software;
- Ability to communicate and engage effectively with all staff.
The exact duration of the assignment will be agreed with ASB Greek Country Office. However, please note that should not exceed 2 months.
The candidate must be prepared to spend extended working hours in what may be adverse weather conditions or stressful environments, often standing or moving around for long periods of time.
Working schedule: Office hours and on a call basis in case of emergency
- All Site officers are required to adhere to THE ASB Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the ASB country employment policies.
- Adhere to the Code of Conduct every day – in the site and in the community.
- Maintain confidentiality
ASB is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The assignment is suitable for individual consultants and consulting companies. Interested candidates are requested to submit a proposal, listing how they would approach this work, methodology, timelines and financial requirements. Please send your application to:
Subject line: “Risk & Compliance Consultant”
Only electronic applications accepted. Deadline for applications is June 5th, 2017.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applicants who are not selected will not receive a rejection letter.