The HR Officer supports the HR department and reports towards the HR Manager. S/he is an essential part of the Operations team, in line with ASB and Donor regulation. Based in Thessaloniki, the HR Officer is responsible for providing human resources administrative support and guidance for the ASB staff in Northern Greece, and act as focal point for day to day HR administrative tasks for them.
Job Title: HR Officer
Department: Human Resources
Duration: 6 months- with a 3-month trial period
Salary: Level 3 (Officer)
The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organization and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq and Greece.
ASB started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. In 2017 ASB Greece has built the technical facilities and shelters for the Diavata camp and it is currently operating the Site Management Support (SMS) role at this site. Through our partners WAHA and ARSIS, ASB also supports the provision of health and protection services towards refugees and migrants in Greece. Our main donor is DG ECHO, but we have also received funds from the German Foreign Ministry and own private donations. The ASB country office is based in Thessaloniki.
Currently ASB Greece is having operations both in Thessaloniki (Diavata) and Epirus Region (Katsikas, Filipiada, Konitsa and Doliana) of Greece. The central office of ASB in Epirus is in Ioannina – reporting towards the main country office in Thessaloniki.
The HR Officer supports the HR department and reports towards the HR Manager. S/he is an essential part of the Operations team, in line with ASB and Donor regulation. Based in Thessaloniki, the HR Officer is responsible for providing human resources administrative support and guidance for the ASB staff in Northern Greece, and act as focal point for day to day HR administrative tasks for them
General Task and Responsibilities:
- Assists HR Manager on the recruitment cycle
- Supports the HR Manager on Training and Development
- Files and archives HR related documents
- Screening and shortlisting candidates based on defined objective criteria and ASB Guidelines and discuss these with the responsible line manager;
- Managing all communication channels used by ASB Greece to distribute the vacancies in cooperation with the Visibility& Communication Officer
- Contacting structured interviews (face to face, skype, phone interviews), assigned by HR Manager
- Sending conditional offers and collecting hiring documentation including reference background checks
- Informing unsuccessful applicants (rejection letters)
- Updating job descriptions and interview grids
- Maintaining the recruitment database
Training & Development:
- Scheduling and delivering On-Boarding Induction Training
- Conducting training activities and providing administrative follow-up
- Drafting, updating and formatting documents such as reports, notes and presentations
- Keeping and updating all HR files with all the relevant hardcopies.
- Assuring staff timesheets submission and filing
- Tracking and monitoring staff leaves, sick leaves and absences
- Collecting and updating hiring documents/personnel files
- Assuring that all required administrative formalities are respected (staff contract registration, social security registration, medical insurance registration, etc.)
- Liaising with the HR Manager in monitoring and coordinate timely contract renewals, preparation of ASB ID cards, hiring and termination letters.
- Following up on signatures for all HR related documents.
- Any other task as required by the HR Manager
- During his/her work, uphold all relevant ASB standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles;
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment and other important cross-cutting concerns;
- Fully comply with the ASB HR procedures.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position. All staff of ASB is expected to be flexible and contribute constructively towards achieving the goals of ASB in Greece.
HR Manager (Technically)
Operations Coordinator (Functionally)
Collaborations: Base Operations Staff (Logisticians, Finance Officers, HR/ Admin Officers)
- Greek National, or legally allowed to work in Greece;
- Completed Bachelor Degree in Business Administration/ Human Resources Management or other related study;
- Master degree in Human Resources Management will be an asset
- Minimum three (3) years of professional work experience as an HR Officer/ Generalist, with at least One (1) year of experience working with NGOs, ideally at a HR/Administration position.
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to deal with strict deadlines and to handle pressure
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, ability to improvise flexibility, cultural and environmental sensitivity
- Fluency in both Greek and English is a must;
- Patience, a ‘can-do’ mentality.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently.
- Strong personality, ability to manage a variety of intra-organizational teams
- Clear understanding of how to manage sensitive and confidential information
How to apply:
All interested parties are requested to submit their CV and Cover Letter in English to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating the position in the subject field.
The deadline for submission is July 23rd 2018.
By applying to this Job Advertisement, the applicant concedes that ASB Greece will
manage any data provided by her/ him until the end of this process and only.
If the applicant wishes for the data to be kept for a period of 6 months, in order to be included in other similar
recruitment process, should be clearly stated in the application email by copying the exact following:
“I concede and allow ASB Greece to keep the documents/ files and data included in them, for a period
of 6 months, starting from the date of dispatch, and in order to be used only for the purpose of further
recruitment that I might be suitable. I have the right to recall this consent at any point, by sending a
written application in the form of email to email@example.com” .