As part of the Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH)/Shelter team, the electrician will be responsible for the maintenance and repairs of all related facilities at the sites.
Job Title: Skilled Worker / Electrician
Department: WASH/Shelter Team
Location: Ioannina, Northern Greece
Period: 05.07.2018 – 31.12.2018
Salary: Level 2 (Skilled Worker)
The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organization and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq and Greece.
ASB started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. In 2017 ASB Greece has built the technical facilities and shelters for the Diavata camp and it is currently operating the Site Management Support (SMS) role at this site. Through our partners WAHA and ARSIS, ASB also supports the provision of health and protection services towards refugees and migrants in Greece. In 2018 ASB expects to continue providing these services, possibly at more locations throughout Greece. Our main donor is DG ECHO, but we have also received funds from the German Foreign Ministry and own private donations. The ASB country office is based in Thessalonik
Currently ASB Greece is having operations both in Thessaloniki (Diavata) and Epirus Region (Katsikas, Filipiada, Konitsa and Doliana) of Greece. The central office of ASB in Epirus is in Ioannina – reporting towards the main country office in Thessaloniki.
As SMS-actor at these sites, ASB would also be responsible for the maintenance and repairs of the facilities at the different sites. The sites in Epirus consist of 2 camps with prefabricated containers and 2 sites in existing buildings. Each of these sites have different maintenance needs. The full WASH/shelter team consists of 4 WASH/Shelter Officers, 3 plumbers and 2 electricians – who will be either be based at one of the sites, or will be asked to be part of a roving team, depending on the needs.
The WASH/Shelter team works together with the ASB team at the locations, where the SMS-Officer has the lead. Overall management is provided by the WASH/Shelter Manager. As part of the Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH)/Shelter team, the electrician will be responsible for the maintenance and repairs of all related facilities at the sites.
Task and Responsibilities:
- Carry out all minor electrical repair works requested by the WASH/Shelter Officer across all assigned sites;
- Provide the WASH/Shelter Officer with health estimates and bills of quantities needed for repair works;
- Perform weekly maintenance procedures and safety checks of the electrical installation across all facilities and shelters in the project areas;
- Perform monthly reviews of the fire safety installation and in the event of faults propose possible solutions to the line manager;
- Liaise between the technical WASH teams, SMS teams, and the refugee and migrant population when certain electrical tasks require additional input;
- Organize the technical service in charge of electrical installations and equipment;
- Follow up consumption of any supplies, fuel, lubricants and tools and reports this on a weekly basis to his line manager making any orders necessary for renewing the stock, avoiding any shortage and ensuring security stocks;
- Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally if necessary;
- Record data on routine activities and forward it to the respective WASH/Shelter Officer;
- Keep up to date records and analysis of activities and advice on material and stock needs in good time;
- Depending the need, the technician role may be asked to participate in additional WASH activities such as small concrete constructions;
- Ensure that tasks are completed in a timely manner and to quality standards;
- Ensure all maintenance activities take into consideration the needs of women, girls, persons with disabilities, and older persons;
- Attend training sessions as required.
- During his/her work, uphold all relevant ASB standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles;
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment and other important cross-cutting concerns;
- Fully comply with the ASB safety and security procedures.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position. All staff of ASB is expected to be flexible and contribute constructively towards achieving the goals of ASB in Greece.
Reports to: WASH/Shelter Officer.
Collaborations: Field Staff (WASH Officer, Plumber )
- At least three (3) years of experience in electrical engineering or relevant experience in open construction sites and electrical installations;
- Licensed electrician installer;
- Greek National, or legally allowed to work in Greece;
- Fluent in Greek, English (spoken) would be an asset;
- Patience, a ‘can-do’ mentality and a good sense of humour;
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different sectors of the community;
- Literacy, numeracy, and record keeping skills;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently.
How to apply:
All interested parties are requested to submit their CV and Cover Letter in English to the following address: email@example.com clearly stating the position in the subject field.
The deadline for submission is July 4th 2018.
By applying to this Job Advertisement, the applicant concedes that ASB Greece will
manage any data provided by her/ him until the end of this process and only.
If the applicant wishes for the data to be kept for a period of 6 months, in order to be included in other similar
recruitment process, should be clearly stated in the application email by copying the exact following:
“I concede and allow ASB Greece to keep the documents/ files and data included in them, for a period
of 6 months, starting from the date of dispatch, and in order to be used only for the purpose of further
recruitment that I might be suitable. I have the right to recall this consent at any point, by sending a
written application in the form of email to firstname.lastname@example.org” .