The NFE team works together with the SMS, Protection, and WASH/Shelter teams at the site and cooperates closely with the Greek authorities, other public organisations and actors.
|Job Title:||Non-Formal Education and Community Facilitators|
|Department:||Non-Formal Education (NFE)|
|Location:||Epirus (Agia Eleni)|
|Period:||01/03/2021 – 30/06/2021|
- Background/ASB Summary:
The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organization and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB Foreign Aid
ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq and Greece.
ASB started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. In 2017 ASB Greece built the technical facilities and shelters for the Diavata camp. In 2018, ASB Greece acquired three accommodation sites in the Epirus Region (Katsikas, Filippiada and Doliana). In 2019, ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with IOM is implementing the “Improving the Greek Reception System Through Site Management Support and Targeted Interventions in Long – Term Accommodation Sites” project. The project focuses on Site Management Support (SMS) services and includes Protection and Non-Formal Education. In 2020 ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with IOM is implementing the Program “Supporting the Greek Authorities in Managing the National Reception System for Asylum Seekers and Vulnerable Migrants (SMS)”)”. ASB will continue supporting the Greek authorities into 2021 with the funding of DG HOME and in coordination with IOM. The ASB country office is based in Thessaloniki, while the Epirus regional office is in Ioannina.
- Job Overview/Summary:
As the Site Management Support (SMS) actor at Agia Eleni site in the Epirus region, ASB implements a wide range of activities, including maintenance and repairs of the facilities and public networks, legal assistance, running of the Help Desk service, identification of individual needs and protection of highly vulnerable persons, access to public services within and outside the site and non-formal education activities.
The full NFE team in Epirus consists of the Senior NFE Officer, the NFE Officer, the Educators and the NFE& Community Facilitators.
The NFE team works together with the SMS, Protection, and WASH/Shelter teams at the site and cooperates closely with the Greek authorities, other public organisations and actors. Overall management and supervision are provided by the NFE Manager who is acting as the technical manager of the NFE teams in North Greece and Epirus, whilst the direct line management of field teams is provided by the NFE Senior Officer per area.
For the specific job opening, ASB is looking to employ a qualified professional to work in its site as an NFE& Community Facilitator.
The NFE & Community Facilitator supports the Non – Formal Education (NFE) department and reports towards the Senior NFE Officer. S/he is an essential part of the NFE team, in line with ASB and Donor regulation. Based in Epirus, the NFE & Community Facilitator is responsible for conducting daily community support and engagement activities for refugee children, adolescents and adults in the ASB LTACs of Epirus. S/he designs, implements and monitors all activities. The community engagement activities focus on education, culture, sports, vocational training, employability, skills development workshops and aim to promote social inclusion and cultural diversity. They include recreational groups (art-based, cultural, sports), info sessions, parents’ meetings, site-wide events and projects, trainings and workshops.
General Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Leads day to day community-based activities, celebrations, thematic events and recreational activities at Agia Eleni site.
- Assists the Senior NFE Officer in the provision of non – formal education by keeping attendances and any other data requested
- Communicates and co-operates with the other departments of ASB and with the community
Community engagement activities
- Elicits information from beneficiaries about their preferred methods of engagement, designs with beneficiaries and other stakeholders and ASB programs impactful and accessible community engagement programming, implements the selected programming and follows-up on the outcomes, benefit and engagement with beneficiaries.
- Designs and implements location-specific community support and engagement activities/projects/events and supports the development by collaborating with relevant teams/actors
- Identifies and adapts relevant teaching/learning methodology, tools, and materials for the provision of non-formal education
- Supports adults’ learning and vocational training
- Prepares and conducts trainings and workshops with communities
- Effectively supports community-based volunteer-teams to respond to site’s and host community’s needs
- Closely collaborates with field teams (SMS, Protection, WASH/Shelter, Non-Formal Education) and all on-site actors, and coordinates in jointly addressing communities’ needs and in mobilizing the communities
- Collaborates with on-site and local actors, municipalities, service providers, partners, and other stakeholders to design and implement joint activities, skills development workshops and training sessions, donations, recreational events, etc., to promote integration and cultural diversity
- In collaboration with the Communications department, implement ASB’s CwC strategy including identifying and documenting stories within the communities, and in publicly promoting them
- Supports the MEAL team in the implementation of monitoring and evaluation tools, including following up on beneficiaries’ attendance and collecting their feedback on the activities provided
- Prepares and/or participates in regular assessments, monitoring and progress reports
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned.
Provision of non – formal education
- Advises and co-operates with the NFE management team and other members of the education team on the preparation and development of a comprehensive timetable
- Supports the group/class/event enrolment procedure of PoCs residing in the LTAC
- Tracks the attendance of participants daily
- Creates distance learning lessons for the NFE website (nfe.asb.gr) supporting distance e-lessons, when and if applicable.
- Participates in administrative and organisational tasks related to the duties as described above, including the allocation of equipment and materials.
- Keeps records and reports on the educational needs of PoCs
- Flags protection-wise considerations and refers vulnerable cases to the ASB Protection team
- Works with Educators and Protection team staff for the provision of integrated learning activities (community engagement/recreational activities/psychosocial support activities)
- With the support of the NFE Manager and Senior Officer, communicates and consults with parents and the community
- Identifies, engages, mentors, monitors and guides less experienced/qualified volunteers from the refugee community in organizing community engagement activities.
- Any other task as required by the NFE management team
- During his/her work, uphold all relevant ASB standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment and other important cross-cutting concerns
- Fully comply with the ASB HR procedures.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position. All staff of ASB is expected to be flexible and contribute constructively towards achieving the goals of ASB in Greece.
Senior NFE Officer
- Directly: None
- Indirectly: None
SMS, Protection, NFE and WASH/Shelter Field Staff, other field actors
- Greek National, or legally allowed to work in Greece;
- Highschool degree with a minimum three (3) years of professional work experience or Bachelor’s degree in sciences, humanities, social sciences, arts or other related study
- Minimum three (3) years of professional work experience as a facilitator, with at least one (1) year of experience working with NGOs and/or with minority groups.
- Experience in designing and implementing community engagement, recreational and cultural activities
- Experience in non-formal education e.g. museum education, life skills education, adult education
- Technical knowledge and skills in the field of education, including positive discipline, active learning and intercultural education
- Experience engaging with parents and communities in order to improve attendance, and to address students’ needs
- Experience adapting materials to the needs of students
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to deal with strict deadlines and to handle pressure
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, ability to improvise flexibility, cultural and environmental sensitivity
- Fluency in both Greek and English is a must;
- Patience, a ‘can-do’ mentality.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently.
- Clear understanding of how to manage sensitive and confidential information
- Openness to accept ASB’s Greece working values, such as:
- Open, Honest and Professional Relationships
- On time, Open and clear horizontally and vertically communication
- Team Work
- Productive attitude to excellence
- Recognition and rewarding
- Pride for the Humanitarian Orientation
- Willingness for the extra mile
- Collaboration for professional evolution, training and learning
- Standard twenty-four days of paid leave per year (plus seniority legal additions)
- Extra consideration on maternal/ paternal leaves and kid-related leaves
- Extra private life and accident insurance
- Transportation to and from work, with an organizational minibus
- Vehicle for trips outside of the main office perimeter
Base of Position
Length of contract
How to apply:
All interested parties are requested to submit their CV and Cover Letter in English to the following address: email@example.com clearly stating the “NFE-COM/AE” on the subject
The deadline for application submission is January 31st 2020 at 23:59 hrs.
By applying to this Job Advertisement, the applicant concedes that ASB Greece will manage any data provided by her/ him until the end of this process and only.
If the applicant wishes for the data to be kept for a period of 6 months, in order to be included in another similar recruitment process, should be clearly stated in the application email by copying the exact following:
“ I concede and allow ASB Greece to keep the documents/ files and data included in them, for a period of 6 months, starting from the date of dispatch, and in order to be used only for the purpose of further recruitment that I might be suitable. I have the right to recall this consent at any point, by sending a written application in the form of email to firstname.lastname@example.org ”.