The Program Coordinator is responsible for all program development, supports the correct and timely implementation and the oversees the reporting towards the donors at the end of the projects.
Job Title: Program Coordinator
Location: Thessaloniki, Northern Greece
Period: 3 months initial contract with possibility for extension
1. Background/ASB Summary:
The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organization and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB Foreign Aid
ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Mozambique, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq and Greece.
ASB started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. In 2017 ASB Greece built the technical facilities and shelters for the Diavata camp. In 2018, ASB Greece acquired three accommodation sites in the Epirus Region (Katsikas, Filippiada and Doliana). In 2019, ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with IOMimplementedthe “Improving the Greek Reception System Through Site Management Support and Targeted Interventions in Long – Term Accommodation Sites” project. The project focused on Site Management Support (SMS) services and includes Protection and Non-Formal Education. In 2020 ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with IOM will implement the Program “Supporting the Greek Authorities in Managing the National Reception System for Asylum Seekers and Vulnerable Migrants (SMS)”. The ASB country office is based in Thessaloniki, while the Epirus regional office is in Ioannina.
2. Job Overview/Summary:
The Program Coordinator is responsible for all program development, supports the correct and timely implementation and the oversees the reporting towards the donors at the end of the projects. In terms of program development, s/he is responsible for drafting a humanitarian strategy and related programs for ASB in Greece and based on this, develop proposals and concept notes for relevant donors. During the implementation of the projects, s/he is responsible for ensuring that the projects get implemented in a timely manner and as initially proposed towards the donor. For this the Program Coordinator works directly with the Compliance, SMS, Protection and the NFE managers – all based in Thessaloniki. S/he oversees the independent monitoring and evaluation of all projects implemented by ASB in Greece.
During and after the project implementation, s/he is responsible for the quality control of all reporting, towards donors, Greek Government or other stakeholders. The Program Coordinator ensures that reporting is done in transparent and a timely manner.
The Program Coordinator is also responsible for the representation and coordination with other Humanitarian Actors at a national level. This includes also advocacy towards stakeholders and the general public about the humanitarian needs within Greece and how ASB Greece wants to address these.
In regard to the staff, the Program Coordinator is the direct line manager of programmatic managers (Compliance, SMS, Protection and NFE). Together with the Country Director, the Area Coordinator(s) and the Operational Coordinator, the Program Coordinator forms the senior management of ASB in Greece – and as such is asked to lead by example. S/he is responsible for the overall country program and strategy in Greece.
Additionally, the Program Coordinator will also be named the Assistant Country Director (ACD). As such, s/he will be responsible for representing ASB towards external partners and be asked to represent the CD during his absence.
3. General Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Represent ASB Greece towards all stakeholders and establish efficient coordination mechanisms with them where and when needed;
- Lead the development and the implementation of the humanitarian strategy and related programs and project of ASB Greece;
- Manage the programmatic teams of ASB Greece in an effective and efficient manner, providing them with a safe working environment;
- Ensure together with the programmatic managers that all the operations in Greece follow defined procedures, regulations and SOPs. This includes knowledge of donor regulations and common practices.
4. Specific Tasks and Responsibilities:
Strategy and Program Development
- Drafts and develops ASB Greece humanitarian strategy, identifying the needs and proposes ways for ASB to address these, in line with the mandate of ASB. This strategy must be in line with the global strategy and priorities set by the ASB Foreign Aid Department;
- Develops concept notes and full proposals towards donors, in order to address the identified humanitarian needs;
- Ensures the proper and timely reporting and transparent monitoring and evaluation towards donors and ASB HQ;
- Represent ASB towards all stakeholders and establish efficient coordination mechanisms with them;
- In coordination with CD facilitates with the MEAL officers the base-line assessments, which form the basis for the humanitarian strategy and programming;
- Develops ASB Humanitarian Strategy, identifying the needs within Greece. The strategy should follow the mandate of ASB as an organisation, operating in Greece;
- Monitors funding opportunities within Greece, for both ASB and its partners;
- Provides partners assessments, in order to identify relevant partners for ASB to cooperate with and to know their strengths and weaknesses;
- Develops concept notes and (after approval) full proposals for donors, in order to address the identified humanitarian needs.
- Supports the development of concepts and standards for humanitarian interventions. The main focus of ASB is to operate in line with the Core Humanitarian Standards;
- Based on these standards, facilitate capacity building towards ASB Greece staff, partners and other stakeholders such as the Greek Government;
- Support the Area Coordinator(s) and the programmatic managers (Compliance, SMS, Protection and NFE) in the implementation of the ASB Greece’s projects, in line with the relevant quality standards and (donor) guidelines;
- Ensures with the Operational Coordinator timely and proper budget follow up of all projects;
- Coordinates with the partners and ASB’s project staff, the implementation of the humanitarian and other programming;
- Provides capacity building for ASB staff, partners and other stakeholders related to ASB’s humanitarian programming and standards – including gender, inclusion and Core Humanitarian Standards.
- Represents ASB towards stakeholders at a national and international level;
- Promotes cross cutting programmatic themes, related to the skills and mandate of ASB;
- Seeks opportunities for cross country learning with other stakeholders, including other ASB country offices.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- In coordination with CD drafts and supports implementation of ASB’s monitoring and evaluation strategy and structures. Monitoring and Evaluation is aimed at in depended verification of achievements and impact of ASB actions in Greece;
- Together with the Senior MEAL Officer, develop strategies and tools that make ASB operate more transparent and more accountable towards ASB’s stakeholders;
- Ensures that all reporting done by ASB towards donors and other stakeholders is of the desired quality, on time and following the (donor/ASB) specifications;
- Facilitates the evaluation of actions and projects, including lessons learned.
Communication and Advocacy
- In coordination with CD and cooperation with the Communications Officer, develop a communication strategy for ASB in Greece;
- Oversee and lead the advocacy by ASB Greece towards its stakeholders.
- During his/her work, uphold all relevant ASB standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles;
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment and other important cross-cutting concerns;
- Fully comply with the ASB safety and security procedures.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position. All staff of ASB is expected to be flexible and contribute constructively towards achieving the goals of ASB in Greece.
5. Reports to:
Country Director of ASB Greece.
6. Staff Management:
All programmatic managers (Compliance, SMS, Protection and NFE)– all based in Thessaloniki.
- Senior Management Team ASB Greece;
- Operations Managers and Teams.
- Communications officer
- MEAL officers
- Completed relevant university degree, social work, development;
- Minimum ten (10) years of professional work experience, with at least five (5) year of experience working with migrants in Greece or in other refugee and mixed migration contexts;
- Relevant professional work experience in working on projects with local or national authorities
- Relevant professional work experience in managing EU projects
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, flexible and wide understanding of the community’s needs;
- Allowed to legally work in Greece;
- Spoken and written fluency Greek and English, other languages would be an asset;
- Patience, a ‘can-do’ mentality and a good sense of humour;
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different sectors of the community;
- Literacy, numeracy, and record keeping skills;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently
- Openness to accept ASB’s Greece working values, such as:
1. Open, Honest and Professional Relationships
2. On time, Open and clear horizontally and vertically communication
5. Positive Team Work
6. Productive attitude to excellence
7. Recognition and rewarding
8. Pride for the Humanitarian Orientation
9. Willingness for the extra mile
10. Collaboration for professional evolution, training and learning
- Standard twenty-four days of paid leave per year (plus seniority legal additions);
- Extra private life and accident insurance;
- Organizational phone, with monthly credit;
10. Base of Position
Thessaloniki, with travels to Ioannina and Athens when needed.
11. Length of contract
3 months initial contract with possibility of extension
12. How to apply:
All interested parties are requested to submit their CV and Cover Letter in English to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating the “PROGRAM COORDINATOR ” on the subject field.
The deadline for application submission is one week after the initial job advertisement (27/05/2020).
By applying to this Job Advertisement, the applicant concedes that ASB Greece will manage any data provided by her/ him until the end of this process and only.
If the applicant wishes for the data to be kept for a period of 6 months, in order to be included in other similar recruitment process, should be clearly stated in the application email by copying the exact following:
“ I concede and allow ASB Greece to keep the documents/ files and data included in them, for a period of 6 months, starting from the date of dispatch, and in order to be used only for the purpose of further recruitment that I might be suitable. I have the right to recall this consent at any point, by sending a written application in the form of email to email@example.com ”.