The SMS Reception Officer in Epirus is responsible for supporting, with administrative tasks, the competent Greek authorities at the four (4) sites during the reception and identification procedure of the officially scheduled new arrivals and the emergency arrivals within mainland sites.
|Job Title:||SMS roving reception officer|
|Period:||01/02/2021 – 30/06/2021|
- Background/ASB Summary:
The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organization and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB Foreign Aid
ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq and Greece.
Arbeiter Samariter Bund Deutschland e.V (ASB) started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. Between 2016 and 2018 the ASB implemented two major projects funded by the European Union (DG ECHO) and the German Federal Foreign Ministry. In 2017 the ASB built the technical facilities and shelters for the Long – Term Accommodation Centre (LTAC) of Diavata and in 2018, ASB acquired four accommodation sites in the Epirus Region (Katsikas, Filippiada, Doliana and Konitsa).
In 2019, the ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) implemented the “Improving the Greek Reception System Through Site Management Support and Targeted Interventions in Long – Term Accommodation Sites” project for the sites of Diavata, Filippiada, Katsikas and Doliana.
In 2020 the ASB implemented the Program “Supporting the Greek Authorities in Managing the National Reception System for Asylum Seekers and Vulnerable Migrants (SMS)”, for the LTAC of Diavata (Thessaloniki region), Katsikas, Filippiada, Doliana and continues it into 2021 as a no cost extension in the LTAC of Agia Eleni.
In 2021 the ASB is also implementing the Program“SMS 2021 – Assisting the Greek authorities in the management of the Reception System” in the camps of Diavata, Filippiada, Katsikas, and Doliana with the funding of DG HOME and in coordination with IOM.
The ASB country office is based in Thessaloniki, while the Epirus regional office is in Ioannina.
- Job Overview/Summary:
The SMS Reception Officer in Epirus is responsible for supporting, with administrative tasks, the competent Greek authorities at the four (4) sites during the reception and identification procedure of the officially scheduled new arrivals and the emergency arrivals within mainland sites. In order to fulfil the given duties, the officer will possess a roving status tailor-made to the requirements of the position. In addition, during the routine working days the specific officer will assist the day-to-day activities and function of the specific site appointed based on the given workload and activities. In collaboration and direct communication with the Area coordinator and the respective Snr SMS officer the routine duties will be adjusted accordingly and delegated to her/him through a structured weekly/monthly schedule. The reception officer will have to report all the technical issues/concerns that ensue during the implementation of the reception and routine activities to the line and the technical management of the position, in order to be addressed in a coordinated and effective manner.
- Task and Responsibilities:
- Supports the Greek camp management during reception and identification of the official arrivals from the islands and transit sites, and the emergency arrivals withing mainland sites during the working days/hours and/or additional days/hours.
- Prior to reception and in coordination with the Snr SMS officer of the site to assist the camp manager, if required, to any allocation decisions according to the available spaces per accommodation type.
- Prior to reception, and based on the number of people transferred, to prepare the needed office/reception facility in coordination with the Snr officer, camp manager and the other involved actors, in order the procedure to be performed in an orderly, safe and dignified manner.
- Prior to reception to coordinate with the respective Snr SMS officer and the Area coordinator in order the needed number of interpreters to be allocated for the facilitation of the reception.
- Perform the required reception, identification, preliminary information and demographics data collection of the new arrivals at the point of reception.
- Be responsible for in-kind assistance with the distribution of FI’s and NFI’s and collection of signatures at the point of reception (Dry food list/Beneficiary NFIs distribution sheet)
- Be responsible during allocation to provide some basic info with regards the amenities/equipment provided at the shelter and collect the signatures in the equipment inventory file at the point of reception.
- Provide email information to the line and technical management, at the end of the activity, for the outcome of the reception/identification procedure and any issues/challenges/security concerns that were witnessed during the activity.
- After the reception, is responsible for the physical filing of the above means of verification.
- After the reception, is responsible to compile and send the new SMS notification file to IFRC for the inclusion of the newcomers in the cash program
- In the next 24 hours, and in case a security incident took place during reception, the SMS reception officer is responsible to compile an incident report and follow the established communication pathway.
- Ensure that the preliminary work done by the Protection members (psychologist/social worker) of the reception team at the point of reception, has been adequately and accurately communicated to the respective Snr officers in order to follow up.
The following list of duties (not exhaustive) will be delegated by the respective Snr SMS officer at site according to the needs and workload that the specific location encounters.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting, meeting minutes and other coordination discussions towards the Snr SMS officer, the Area coordinator and the SMS manager of the program.
- Assist the monthly census activity and update any changes of the demographics data of the population at the site required
- Conduct physical verification exercise/s (once/twice per month) with the other members of the reception team and with the support of the adequate number of interpreters
- Assist the timely upkeeping and reporting of the demographics database disseminated to all the relevant actors and colleagues.
- Ensure the adequate stock levels of NFI’s to be in place in the in-site storage space in order to accommodate the needs of the new arrivals and any repetitive distributions until their inclusion in the cash scheme.
- Assist and implement, if required, any ASB blanket distributions including site preparation, verification, distribution, management of waiting lines, the handling of complaints
- Other routine duties as assigned by the Area coordinator/Snr SMS officer at a regional basis.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Assist the collection and documentation of information and data for the MEAL team of ASB.
- Report timely to the SMS manager and the Snr SMS officer of the site in coordination with the Area/Program coordinators all the issues/problems of the reception/identification process.
- Provide all necessary information and communication through the conduct of field assessments to the Area coordinator/SMS manager in collaboration with the respective Snr SMS officer, for all the needs/risks/gaps/overlaps that concern the daily function of the camp, the security status, and the implementation of the SMS activities
- During his/her work, uphold all relevant ASB standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles;
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, ethnic group, protection, of all the stakeholders and the physical environment
- Fully comply with the ASB safety and security procedures.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position. All staff of ASB is expected to be flexible and contribute constructively towards achieving the goals of ASB in Greece.
4. Reports to:
- Staff Management:
- Directly: None
- Indirectly: None
Internal: Reception team
External: close collaboration with other humanitarian actors, local NGOs, UN agencies, government service providers
- Completed higher Education
- Degree in Social Sciences/ Administration will be an asset
- Minimum three (3) years of professional work experience, with at least one (1) year of experience working with migrants in Greece or in other refugee and mixed migration contexts;
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, flexible and wide understanding of the community’s needs;
- Greek National, or legally allowed to work in Greece;
- Spoken and written fluency Greek and English, other languages Arabic, Urdu or Farsi would be an asset;
- Patience, a ‘can-do’ mentality and a good sense of humour;
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of the stakeholders
- Literacy, numeracy, and record keeping skills;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently.
- Openness to accept ASB’s Greece working values, such as:
- Open, Honest and Professional Relationships
- On time, Open and clear horizontally and vertically communication
- Positive Team Work
- Productive attitude to excellence
- Recognition and rewarding
- Pride for the Humanitarian Orientation
- Willingness for the extra mile
- Collaboration for professional evolution, training and learning
- Standard twenty-four days of paid leave per year (plus seniority legal additions);
- Extra private life and accident insurance;
- Relocation accommodation bonus, 7 days if applicable to the position
- Organizational phone, with monthly credit;
- Facilitation of Transportation to and from work
- Base of Position
- Length of contract
- How to apply:
All interested parties are requested to submit their CV and Cover Letter in English to the following address: email@example.com clearly stating the “ SMS-OFF-REC/IOA ” on the subject field.
The deadline for application submission is January 28th 2021 at 23:59 hrs.
By applying to this Job Advertisement, the applicant concedes that ASB Greece will manage any data provided by her/ him until the end of this process and only.
If the applicant wishes for the data to be kept for a period of 6 months, in order to be included in other similar recruitment process, should be clearly stated in the application email by copying the exact following:
“ I concede and allow ASB Greece to keep the documents/ files and data included in them, for a period of 6 months, starting from the date of dispatch, and in order to be used only for the purpose of further recruitment that I might be suitable. I have the right to recall this consent at any point, by sending a written application in the form of email to firstname.lastname@example.org ”.