|Job Title:||Cultural Mediation Officer Somali|
|Department:||SMS – Program|
- Background/ASB Summary:
The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organization and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB Foreign Aid
ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq and Greece.
Arbeiter Samariter Bund Deutschland e.V (ASB) started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. Between 2016 and 2018 the ASB implemented two major projects funded by the European Union (DG ECHO) and the German Federal Foreign Ministry. In 2017 the ASB built the technical facilities and shelters for the Long – Term Accommodation Centre (LTAC) of Diavata and in 2018, ASB acquired four accommodation sites in the Epirus Region (Katsikas, Filippiada, Doliana and Konitsa).
In 2019, the ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) implemented the “Improving the Greek Reception System Through Site Management Support and Targeted Interventions in Long – Term Accommodation Sites” project for the sites of Diavata, Filippiada, Katsikas and Doliana.
In 2020 the ASB implemented the Program “Supporting the Greek Authorities in Managing the National Reception System for Asylum Seekers and Vulnerable Migrants (SMS)”, for the LTAC of Diavata (Thessaloniki region), Katsikas, Filippiada, Doliana and continues it into 2021 as a no cost extension and with the addition of the LTAC of Agia Eleni.
- Job Overview/Summary:
As SMS-actor at these sites, ASB is responsible for the maintenance and repairs of the facilities at the different sites.
The SMS team works together with the WASH/Shelter team at the site, where the SMS-Officer has the lead. Overall management and supervision is provided by the SMS Manager who is acting as the technical line manager of the SMS teams in North Greece and Epirus.
The Cultural Mediation Officer focuses on supporting all the activities in and outside of the camps where communication with the PoCs require interpretation. This can be for ASB staff, staff from the Greek Government, staff from other NGOs or members of the communities where ASB works. ASB hopes to employ qualified staff for Somali. This will cover the majority of languages spoken by refugees at the site, however not all needs. The candidate should be a good team player willing to help the population of concern and able to support the SMS team at the sites and during delivery of activities and services.
General Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Works – together with the SMS and WASH/Shelter staff – with the host refugee populations in/outside the camps, municipality workers and other organisations to organize and participate on community activities;
- Enhances communication and contact with communities by – together with the SMS Officer – organizing regular meetings with community members to discuss action plans, mobilize community participation and act as a mentor throughout the planning and implementation processes;
- Builds good relationships with refugees and migrants living in Ioannina and supports in solving day-to-day issues and problems related to shelter, WASH, NFE, communication and community engagement, protection, gender and other site-based activities;
- Assists with documentation and referrals;
- Support the collection of information and data by the M&E Officer of ASB;
- Supports the Communication Officer of ASB in translating the key messaging towards the refugee population, ensuring access to ASB services;
- Supports the M&E Officer of ASB in conducting surveys and ensuring that the ASB complaint mechanism is accessible for the refugees;
- Provides other translation services when needed.
- During his/her work, uphold all relevant ASB standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles;
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment and other important cross-cutting concerns;
- Fully comply with the ASB safety and security procedures
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position. All staff of ASB is expected to be flexible and contribute constructively towards achieving the goals of ASB in Greece.
Senior SMS Officer – CM Focal Point
- Directly: None
- Indirectly: None
Field Staff (Senior SMS Officer, Senior WASH/Shelter Officer, Camp Assistants, Handymen, Communication Officers, Senior Protection Officer, Senior NFE Officer)
- Completed high school or higher education;
- Spoken and written fluency in Somali and good understanding of the relevant cultures;
- Spoken and written fluency Greek and/or English, Arabic, Farsi, Kurdish or other languages would be an asset;
- At least one (1) year of experience working with migrants in Greece or in other refugee and mixed migration contexts;
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, flexible and wide understanding of the community’s needs;
- Greek National, or legally allowed to work in Greece;
- Patience, a ‘can-do’ mentality and a good sense of humour;
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different sectors of the community;
- Literacy, numeracy, and record keeping skills;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently;
- Openness to accept ASB’s Greece working values, such as:
- Open, Honest and Professional Relationships
- On time, Open and clear horizontally and vertically communication
- Positive Team Work
- Productive attitude to excellence
- Recognition and rewarding
- Pride for the Humanitarian Orientation
- Willingness for the extra mile
- Collaboration for professional evolution, training and learning
- Standard twenty-four days of paid leave per year (plus seniority legal additions);
- Extra private life and accident insurance;
- Relocation accommodation bonus, 7 days if applicable to the position
- Organizational phone, with monthly credit;
Base of Position
Length of contract
How to apply:
All interested parties are requested to submit their CV and Cover Letter in English to the following address: email@example.com clearly stating “ CUL MED-SOMALI/IOA ” and in the subject field.
The deadline for application submission is June 18th at 23:59 hrs.
By applying to this Job Advertisement, the applicant concedes that ASB Greece will manage any data provided by her/ him until the end of this process and only.
If the applicant wishes for the data to be kept for a period of 6 months, in order to be included in other similar recruitment process, should be clearly stated in the application email by copying the exact following:
“ I concede and allow ASB Greece to keep the documents/ files and data included in them, for a period of 6 months, starting from the date of dispatch, and in order to be used only for the purpose of further recruitment that I might be suitable. I have the right to recall this consent at any point, by sending a written application in the form of email to firstname.lastname@example.org ”.