The NFE Assistant supports the Non – Formal Education (NFE) department and reports towards the Senior Education Officer and the Non – Formal Education Manager.
|Job Title:||Non-Formal Education Assistants|
|Department:||Non-Formal Education (NFE)|
|Location:||Thessaloniki, Northern Greece|
|Period:||01.12.2020 – 31.12.2020|
- Background/ASB Summary:
The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organization and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection, and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB Foreign Aid
ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons, and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq and Greece.
ASB started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. In 2017 ASB Greece built the technical facilities and shelters for the Diavata camp. In 2018, ASB Greece acquired three accommodation sites in the Epirus Region (Katsikas, Filippiada and Doliana). In 2019, ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with IOM is implementing the “Improving the Greek Reception System Through Site Management Support and Targeted Interventions in Long – Term Accommodation Sites” project. The project focuses on Site Management Support (SMS) services and includes Protection and Non-Formal Education. In 2020 ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with IOM will implement the Program “Supporting the Greek Authorities in Managing the National Reception System for Asylum Seekers and Vulnerable Migrants (SMS)”. The ASB country office is based in Thessaloniki, while the Epirus regional office is in Ioannina.
- Job Overview/Summary:
The NFE Assistant supports the Non – Formal Education (NFE) department and reports towards the Senior Education Officer and the Non – Formal Education Manager. S/he is an essential part of the NFE team, in line with ASB and Donor regulation. Based in Thessaloniki, the NFE Assistant is responsible for conducting daily recreational activities for refugee children, adolescents, and adults in an appropriate space at the Diavata reception centre. S/he designs, implements, and monitors all recreational activities. The recreational activities include drawing, singing, dancing, music, games, sports, theatre, and other cultural activities. A special focus is also given on IT/tech-based lessons, activities, and projects.
General Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Lead day to day recreational and cultural activities at Diavata camp
- Assist the Senior Education Officer and the Non – Formal Education Manager in the provision of non – formal education by keeping attendances and any other data requested
- Communicates and co-operates with the other departments of ASB and with the community
- Specific Tasks
Educational, recreational and cultural activities
- Designing, planning, and preparation of structured learning projects to children, adolescents, and adults
- Implementing and/or facilitating recreational and cultural activities to the groups assigned to him/her
- Identification and adaptation of relevant methodologies and learning materials for the provision of non-formal education
- Creative integrating of activities
Provision of non – formal education
- Advising and co-operating with the Senior Education Officer, the Non – Formal Education Manager and other members of the education team on the preparation and development of a comprehensive timetable
- Supporting the registration and enrolment of Persons of Concern (PoCs) residing in camps
- Registering the attendance of students/participants daily
- Participating in the design and implementation of distance learning solutions for PoCs, e.g. ASB’s NFE website
- Participating in administrative and organisational tasks related to the duties as described above, including the allocation of equipment and materials.
- Keeping records and reports on the needs of POCs
- Making referrals of vulnerable cases to the ASB Protection team
- Working with teachers for the provision of integrated learning activities (educational and recreational activities/psychosocial support activities/cultural activities)
- With the support of the Senior Education Officer, communicating and consulting with parents and the community
- Mentoring less experienced/qualified volunteer teachers from the refugee community
- Any other task as required by the Senior NFE Officer
- During his/her work, uphold all relevant ASB standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles;
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment and other important cross-cutting concerns;
- Fully comply with the ASB HR procedures.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position. All staff of ASB is expected to be flexible and contribute constructively towards achieving the goals of ASB in Greece.
- Reports to:
Senior Education Officer
- Staff Management:
- Directly: None
- Indirectly: None
Program Staff (SMS, WASH/Shelter, Protection, other NFE staff)
- Greek National, or legally allowed to work in Greece;
- Highschool degree with a minimum three (3) years of related professional work experience or bachelor’s degree in education, humanities, social sciences, arts, or other related study
- Proven knowledge and experience in designing and implementing learning activities with computer-based programs and platforms will be an asset.
- Minimum three (3) years of professional work experience as an education assistant/animator, with at least one (1) year of experience working with NGOs and/or with minority or vulnerable groups.
- Experience in designing and implementing recreational and cultural activities
- Experience in non-formal education e.g. museum education
- Technical knowledge and skills in the field of education, including positive discipline, active learning and intercultural education
- Experience engaging with parents and communities in order to improve attendance, and to address students’ needs
- Experience adapting materials to the needs of students
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to deal with strict deadlines and to handle pressure
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, ability to improvise flexibility, cultural and environmental sensitivity
- Fluency in both Greek and English is a must;
- Patience, a ‘can-do’ mentality.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently.
- Clear understanding of how to manage sensitive and confidential information
- Openness to accept ASB’s Greece working values, such as:
- Open, Honest and Professional Relationships
- On time, Open and clear horizontally and vertically communication
- Positive Team Work
- Productive attitude to excellence
- Recognition and rewarding
- Pride for the Humanitarian Orientation
- Willingness for the extra mile
- Collaboration for professional evolution, training and learning
- Standard twenty-four days of paid leave per year (plus seniority legal additions);
- Extra private life and accident insurance;
- Relocation accommodation bonus, 7 days if applicable to the position
- Transportation to and from work, with an organizational mini bus;
- Base of Position
- Length of contract
1 Month (possibility of extension in 2021)
- How to apply:
All interested parties are requested to submit their CV and Cover Letter in English to the following address: email@example.com clearly stating the “ NFE-ASS/THESS ” on the subject field.
The deadline for application submission is November 18th 2020 at 23:59 hrs.
By applying to this Job Advertisement, the applicant concedes that ASB Greece will manage any data provided by her/ him until the end of this process and only.
If the applicant wishes for the data to be kept for a period of 6 months, in order to be included in other similar recruitment process, should be clearly stated in the application email by copying the exact following:
“ I concede and allow ASB Greece to keep the documents/ files and data included in them, for a period of 6 months, starting from the date of dispatch, and in order to be used only for the purpose of further recruitment that I might be suitable. I have the right to recall this consent at any point, by sending a written application in the form of email to firstname.lastname@example.org ”.