|Job Title:||SMS Field Team Leader|
|Department:||SMS – Program|
|Period:||01/02/2022 – 30/04/2022 (with possibility of extension)|
- Background/ASB Summary:
The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organization and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection, and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB Foreign Aid
ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons, and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq, and Greece.
ASB started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. In 2017 ASB Greece built the technical facilities and shelters for the Diavata camp. Since 2018, ASB Greece has provided support at five accommodation sites in the Epirus Region (Katsikas, Filippiada, Konitsa (closed in 2018), Doliana (closed in 2021) and Ag. Eleni). In 2019, ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with IOM implemented the “Improving the Greek Reception System Through Site Management Support and Targeted Interventions in Long – Term Accommodation Sites” project. The project focused on Site Management Support (SMS) services and includes Protection and Non-Formal Education. In 2020/21 ASB with the funding of DG HOME and in coordination with IOM implemented the Program “Supporting the Greek Authorities in Managing the National Reception System for Asylum Seekers and Vulnerable Migrants (SMS)”. In addition to this, as of October 1st 2021, ASB with the support of UNICEF and in cooperation with DRC is implementing the program All Children in Education. ASB continues its activities into 2022. The ASB country office is based in Thessaloniki, while the Epirus regional office is in Ioannina.
- Job Overview/Summary:
As SMS-actor at these sites, ASB is responsible for the SMS Activities at the different sites.
Overall management and supervision are provided by the SMS Manager who is acting as the technical line manager of the SMS teams in North Greece.
The SMS Field Team Leader is responsible for supporting the relevant Greek authorities at the sites in the day-to-day management of a specific site and coordinating the implementation of ASB’s activities in the specific site, including shelter, NFI and food distribution and security. In collaboration and direct communication with the SMS Assistant Manager and the SMS Manager, the SMS Field Team Leader is responsible for giving input on the development and implementation of the site support management work plan and report on the relevant SMS activities, security status and progress of the field operations.
General Tasks and Responsibilities:
S/he is not based necessarily at a specific ASB site rather than appointed where needed.
The SMS Field Officer is responsible for supporting the relevant Greek authorities at the site in the day-to-day management and coordinating the implementation of ASB’s activities in the site, including shelter, NFIs and food distribution, communication with communities and protection.
- Supporting the relevant Greek authorities at the sites in the day-to-day management of a specific site and coordinating the implementation of ASB’s activities in the specific site, including shelter, NFIs distribution, community engagement and security.
- In collaboration and direct communication with the SMS Manager and SMS Assistant Manager, the SMS Field Team Leader is responsible for giving input on the development and implementation of the site support management work plan and report on the relevant SMS activities, community engagement activities, security status and progress of the field operations.
- Implementing at the field level either of the two (2) core elements of the SMS project, namely administrative support, and communication with communities.
- In collaboration and direct communication with the SMS Manager and the SMS Assistant Manager is responsible for giving input on the development and implementation of the site support management work plan and report on the relevant SMS activities, community engagement activities, security status and progress of the field operations at the site of its responsibility.
- S/he is an essential part of the SMS Field team, and is responsible for the management of the team, assessing, planning, and implementing the SMS activities at the site and coordination with the SMS team from ASB at the site level in line with ASB and Donor regulation.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting, meeting minutes and other coordination discussions to the SMS Assistant Manager the site level activities in collaboration with the SMS Field Officer.
- Ensure the timely reporting and upkeeping of all the demographics data to all the relevant actors and colleagues.
- Prepare and implement in collaboration with the SMS Field Officer any ASB distributions including site prep, verification, distribution, crowd control, the handling of complaints.
- Operational responsible for all the ASB SMS activities at the site appointed.
- Responsible for ensuring the adequate stock levels of NFIs in the on-site storage space and prepare the required inventory control and stock report.
- Responsible for the well-being of the SMS staff members appointed at the site.
- Responsible for the daily running of the field office including availability of supplies.
- Provide support to the HR needs of the team on site, support and facilitate the resolution of HR issues within the team and comply with the relevant disciplinary procedures.
- Works together with the SMS Field Officer and the host refugee populations inside the camp, municipality workers and other organisations to organize and implement joint field activities.
- Enhance communication with communities by organizing regular meetings with community members to discuss action plans, ensure community acceptance and act as a facilitator throughout the planning and implementation processes.
- Supporting the SMS team to manage and accommodate all beneficiaries’ requests on a daily basis;
- Implementing all necessary procedures related to the site management activities foreseen by the project, including reception and allocation of beneficiaries in the site, daily occupancy tracking, regular site population verification and relevant updates of tools;
- Facilitating and organize the distributions (i.e. Welcome Kits, NFIs, food baskets, hygiene materials etc) on daily basis and keep required documentation;
- Monitoring of the stock kept on-site and support all logistical operations at the camp, including keeping records for warehouses;
- Be responsible for the storing of items and the good condition of the storage space;
- Facilitating the community engagement practices;
- Contributing to maintaining and strengthening ASB’s relations with the beneficiaries;
- Monitoring the cleaning services provided by an external contractor.
- Ensuring the completion of relevant ASB administrative documentation (HR, finance, procurement, logistics etc.).
- Acting as the Security Focal Point of the site of his/her responsibility.
- Acting as the deputy IM Focal Point of the site of his/her responsibility.
Coordination and Support
- Work closely with sector-specific teams from Greek Government or other NGOs to ensure integration between site support management and other sectors;
- Develop site-specific processes and plans in collaboration with the SMS Field Officer and the supervision of the SMS Assistant Manager, for the daily running of the camp and its smooth function.
- Maintain, participate and facilitate the function of a robust feedback system within the site, focused on a daily helpdesk organized by ASB;
- Identify gaps and needs in service provision in site and develop solutions and plans in agreement with the responsible Greek authorities;
- Report timely to the SMS Assistant Manager in collaboration with the SMS officer all the inefficiencies in the provision of services by external actors in order to identify any possible solutions.
- Together with the Epirus SMS/WASH Focal Point and the SMS Manager to develop and implement standardized SMS/CCCM tools that can be used for capacity building of staff and a final handover of responsibility of all services at the site to the Greek Government.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Assist with documentation and referrals of migrants to and from the sites. Support the collection of information and data by the M&E Officer of ASB;
- Provide towards the SMS Manager a monthly SMS narrative report regarding the overall operations of ASB.
- Provide all necessary information and communication when required to the SMS Assistant Manager for all the issues that concern the daily function of the camp, the security status, and the progress of the activities.
- Manage a small budget (Petty cash) to implement site-based projects;
- During his/her work, uphold all relevant ASB standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles;
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment and other important cross-cutting concerns;
- Fully comply with the ASB safety and security procedures.
- Any other task is assigned by the SMS Assistant Manager and/or the SMS Manager.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with position. All staff of ASB is expected to be flexible and contribute constructively towards achieving the goals of ASB in Greece.
SMS Assistant Manager, SMS Manager
- Directly: SMS Field Officer
- Indirectly: SMS Field Assistants
- Head of Office (Ioannina)
- Protection Dep.
- M&E Dep.
- ACE Dep.
- Communication Dep.
- Logistics & Procurement Dep.
- Finance Dep.
- Skills Development and Employability Support Dep.
- Greek National, or legally allowed to work in Greece;
- University degree in social, political, business administration sciences;
- Minimum three (3) years of professional work experience, with at least one (1) year of experience working with migrants in Greece or in other refugee and mixed migration contexts;
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, flexible and wide understanding of the community’s needs;
- Spoken and written fluency Greek and English, other languages Arabic, Urdu or Farsi would be an asset;
- Patience, a ‘can-do’ mentality and a good sense of humour;
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different sectors of the community;
- Problem-solving abilities;
- Literacy, numeracy, and record keeping skills;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently.
- Creativity and capacity to produce would be highly appreciated.
- Patience, a ‘can-do’ mentality and a good sense of humour;
- Valid driving licence.
Openness to accept ASB’s Greece working values, such as:
- Open, Honest and Professional Relationships
- On time, Open and clear horizontally and vertically communication
- Positive Teamwork
- Productive attitude to excellence
- Recognition and rewarding
- Pride for the Humanitarian Orientation
- Willingness for the extra mile
- Collaboration for professional evolution, training, and learning
- Standard twenty-four days of paid leave per year (plus seniority legal additions);
- Extra private life and accident insurance;
- Relocation accommodation bonus, 7 days if applicable to the position;
- Organizational phone, with monthly credit;
Base of Position
How to apply:
All interested parties are requested to submit their CV and Cover Letter in English to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating “FIELD-TL/IOA” in the subject field.
The deadline for application submission is January 21st, 2022, at 23:59 hrs. Kindly note that if a suitable candidate is identified, the vacancy will be closed sooner than the deadline.
By applying to this Job Advertisement, the applicant concedes that ASB Greece will manage any data provided by her/ him until the end of this process and only.
If the applicant wishes for the data to be kept for a period of 6 months, in order to be included in other similar recruitment process, should be clearly stated in the application email by copying the exact following:
“I concede and allow ASB Greece to keep the documents/ files and data included in them, for a period of 6 months, starting from the date of dispatch, and in order to be used only for the purpose of further recruitment that I might be suitable. I have the right to recall this consent at any point, by sending a written application in the form of email to email@example.com ”.