The SMS Officer is responsible for supporting the relevant Greek authorities at the site in the day-to-day management and coordinating the implementation of ASB’s activities in the site, including shelter, WASH, NFI and food distribution and protection.
|Job Title:||SMS Officer|
|Period:||01/02/2021 – 30/06/2021|
- Background/ASB Summary:
The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany. More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organization and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB Foreign Aid
ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 50 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Niger, Nicaragua, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Georgia, Ukraine, Iraq and Greece.
ASB started its activities in Greece in March 2016, focusing on the provision of Humanitarian Aid to refugees/migrants. In 2017 ASB Greece built the technical facilities and shelters for the Diavata camp. In 2018, ASB Greece acquired three accommodation sites in the Epirus Region (Katsikas, Filippiada and Doliana). In 2019, ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with IOM is implementing the “Improving the Greek Reception System Through Site Management Support and Targeted Interventions in Long – Term Accommodation Sites” project. The project focuses on Site Management Support (SMS) services and includes Protection and Non-Formal Education. In 2020 ASB with the funding of the Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs of the European Union (DG HOME) and in coordination with IOM is implementing the Program “Supporting the Greek Authorities in Managing the National Reception System for Asylum Seekers and Vulnerable Migrants (SMS)”. )”. ASB will continue supporting the Greek authorities into 2021 with the funding of DG HOME and in coordination with IOM. The ASB country office is based in Thessaloniki, while the Epirus regional office is in Ioannina.
2. Job Overview/Summary:
As SMS-actor at these sites, ASB is responsible for the maintenance and repairs of the facilities at the different sites.
The SMS team works together with the WASH/Shelter team at the site, where the SMS-Officer has the lead. Overall management and supervision is provided by the SMS Manager who is acting as the technical line manager of the SMS teams in North Greece.
The SMS Officer is responsible for supporting the relevant Greek authorities at the site in the day-to-day management and coordinating the implementation of ASB’s activities in the site, including shelter, WASH, NFI and food distribution and protection. In collaboration and direct communication with the SMS Manager, the SMS officer is responsible for giving input on the development and implementation of the site support management work plan and report on the SMS activities, security status and progress of the field operations.
General Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Supports the Greek camp management at the site in terms of planning, implementation and evaluation of activities related to the operational management and upkeep of the site, community participation, coordination among actors and services;
- Ensures accurate and timely reporting, meeting minutes and other coordination discussions to the SMS Manager for the site level activities;
- Ensures the timely reporting and upkeeping of all the demographics data to all the relevant actors and colleagues;
- Is Operational responsible for all the ASB SMS activities at the allocated site, including staff allocated to the SMS team;
- Ensures the adequate stock levels of NFI’s in the on-site storage space and prepares the required inventory control and stock report;
- Is Responsible for the well-being of the SMS staff members appointed at the site;
- Is Responsible for the daily running of the field office including office supplies;
- Prepares and implements any ASB blanket distributions including site preparation, verification, distribution, crowd control, the handling of complaints;
- Works together with the host refugee populations inside the camp, municipality workers and other organisations to organize and implement joint field activities;
- Supports and collaborates with the WASH/Shelter officer regarding the needs and conduct of all external workers to the site;
- Ensures the timely provision of data to the WASH department regarding the technical problems/issues;
- Supports the HR needs of the team on site and facilitates the resolution of HR issues within the team and complying with the relevant disciplinary procedures;
- Enhances communication with communities by organizing regular meetings with community members to discuss action plans, ensures community acceptance and acts as a facilitator throughout the planning and implementation processes;
- Other duties as assigned by the SMS Senior Officer;
- Specific Tasks:
- Coordination and Support
- Works closely with sector-specific teams from Greek Government or other NGOs to ensure integration between site management support and other sectors;
- Develops site-specific processes and plans in collaboration with and the supervision of the Senior SMS Officer, for the daily running of the camp and its smooth function;
- Maintains, participates and facilitates the function of a robust feedback system within the site, focused around a daily helpdesk organized by ASB;
- Identifies gaps and needs in service provision in site and develop solutions and procedures in agreement with the responsible Greek authorities;
- Together with the Senior SMS Officer develops and implements standardized SMS/CCCM tools that can be used for capacity building of staff and a final handover of responsibility of all services at the site to the Greek Government by the end of 2020
Monitoring and Reporting
- Assists with documentation and referrals of migrants to and from the sites. Supports the collection of information and data by the M&E Officer of ASB;
- Reports timely to the Senior SMS Officer all the inefficiencies in the provision of services by external actors in order to identify any possible solutions;
- Provide towards the SMS Manager a monthly SMS narrative report regarding the overall operations of ASB;
- Provide all necessary information and communication when required to the SMS Manager for all the issues that concern the daily function of the camp, the security status and the progress of the activities;
- Manages a small budget (Petty cash) to implement site-based projects;
- During his/her work, uphold all relevant ASB standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles;
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment and other important cross-cutting concerns;
- Fully comply with the ASB safety and security procedures;
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position. All staff of ASB is expected to be flexible and contribute constructively towards achieving the goals of ASB in Greece.
- Reports to:
Senior SMS Officer
- Staff Management:
- Directly: Camp Assistants, Translators
- Indirectly: None
- WASH/Shelter field staff
- Completed high school/higher education;
- Minimum three (3) years of professional work experience, with at least one (1) year of experience working with migrants in Greece or in other refugee and mixed migration contexts;
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, flexible and wide understanding of the community’s needs;
- Greek National, or legally allowed to work in Greece;
- Spoken and written fluency Greek and English, other languages Arabic, Urdu or Farsi would be an asset;
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different sectors of the community;
- Literacy, numeracy, Microsoft Excel and record keeping skills;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently;
- Valid driving licence;
- Creativity and capacity to produce would be highly appreciated;
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, flexible and wide understanding of the community’s needs;
- Patience, a ‘can-do’ mentality and a good sense of humour;
- Openness to accept ASB’s Greece working values, such as:
- Open, Honest and Professional Relationships
- On time, Open and clear horizontally and vertically communication
- Positive Team Work
- Productive attitude to excellence
- Recognition and rewarding
- Pride for the Humanitarian Orientation
- Willingness for the extra mile
- Collaboration for professional evolution, training and learning
- Standard twenty-four days of paid leave per year (plus seniority legal additions);
- Extra private life and accident insurance;
- Relocation accommodation bonus, 7 days if applicable to the position
- Organizational phone, with monthly credit;
- Transportation to and from work, with an organizational mini bus;
- Base of Position
- Length of contract
- How to apply:
All interested parties are requested to submit their CV and Cover Letter in English to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating the “SMS-OFF/THESS” on the subject field.
The deadline for application submission is January 31st 2021 at 23:59 hrs.
By applying to this Job Advertisement, the applicant concedes that ASB Greece will manage any data provided by her/ him until the end of this process and only.
If the applicant wishes for the data to be kept for a period of 6 months, in order to be included in other similar recruitment process, should be clearly stated in the application email by copying the exact following:
“ I concede and allow ASB Greece to keep the documents/ files and data included in them, for a period of 6 months, starting from the date of dispatch, and in order to be used only for the purpose of further recruitment that I might be suitable. I have the right to recall this consent at any point, by sending a written application in the form of email to email@example.com ”.